Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

~Season in Review~ Summer and Fall

It's that time of anime season again, everything that is good must come to an end. After the jump you will find my short thoughts on many of the shows I have been watching for the past 3-6 months like Mawaru Penguindrum, Fate/Zero, C Cubed, Boku ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai, The iDOLM@STER, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai, UN-GO, and Ben-To.

There are a few other shows I am stalled on watching right now.. Tamayura ~hitotose~, Mashiroiro Symphony, and Working'!! either because I have not watched them yet, or the fansub groups I follow for those shows have not finished subbing yet.



Fear-in-cube
- C Cubed -
First show finished of this season was C Cubed. A story of a boy and his “harem” of cursed tools. This show throws a lot of fanservice, blood, and laughs at the viewer in every episode; in addition to having some of the most unique use of light and stylized art I have seen since Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Maria Holic. All in all the show delivers a fairly interesting storyline about these cursed tools trying to break their curse and gain a normal life. In my opinion the show gets 10/10 for art, just look at the intro sequences and all the wonderful stylized art shifts through out the show. Overall 8/10.


Yay!
- The iDOLM@STER -
Twenty-five roller coaster weeks of drama, fun, music, and life have brought the final of The iDOLM@STER to my computer, and wow was it worth the time spent. I fell in love with most of the girls, their stories, their antics, just everything about the story of the show. Especially enjoyed the long buildup to Chihaya's backstory, and Haruka's internal confusion and emotional breakdown. Just fantastic show all around. Seriously this show is good. I give it a 9/10.


Saber in a suit. It does not get much better than this.
- Fate/Zero -
Next the epic of Fate/Zero the first installment in the two season Fate/Zero prequel to Fate/Stay Night. I do sort of dislike waiting for the second season in Spring, but standing alone Fate/Zero is an action filled ride of mystery and awesome. I am a new comer to the Fate series in general, so I have no comment on how true it is, or accuracy or canon or whatever. All I know is that the story is compelling, the characters are interesting, and that I will most certainly watch the second season. My overall is a 9/10.


LISTEN UP YOU LOWLIFES WHO WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING!
- Mawaru Penguindrum -
I am not learned enough to tell you anything about this series except it is all sorts of awesome. They do find the Penguindrum. And there are a lot of penguin antics. 10/10.


Sena <3
- Boku ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai -
The story of a group of socially awkward kids coming together to form a club dedicated to forming friendships. The story eventually comes full circle with the final episode retelling the very first from Yozora's point of view, a very fitting end for this show. High in fan service and very well connected with memes and modern stereotypes, this show was all sorts of funny; I think I'm going to marathon rewatch it in the next few days ^__^. End score of 8/10.


Badass
- Ben-To -
Fight clubs over half price bento. Now if that is not one of the most absurd premises for a show then I don't know anything. It is well done, the story was funny, interesting, and awesome. Characters are likeable, funny, fan servicey at times, and just all around a pretty decent cast. Fantastic music, I can't wait for the background song OST to come out, the sounds where just amazing. While the show is all sorts of awesome, a more non-biased-by-awesome score of 8/10.


It could be bad if it hit someone.
- Morita-san wa Mukuchi -
Morita-san wa Mukuchi is about cute girls doing cute things! They are all adorable moe-blobs and my yuri senses are just aflame watching it. Everything is presented in the perfect bite sized three minute episodes for quick and easy watching. I absolutely loved the second season of this show, 8/10.


Awesome.
- UN-GO -
If you desire something more serious, UN-GO might be up your alley, a mystery show with mixtures of the supernatural and large scale conspiracies follow our “Defeated Detective” around. This show felt unique in that most of the episodes could be stand alone one shots with the characters being introduced with names and titles every episode. The greater story arc does tie together the entire show's mini arcs, but even with out that, I think anyone could pick up a random episode and not be horribly lost. 8/10.


He is such a wet rag.. why is this show even about him?
- Kyokai Senjou no Horizon -
I was not terribly impressed with the first episode, in fact I fell asleep for it. None-the-less the story got better and despite the pretty generic episode stories, I do honestly want to know what happens in the over arcing story.  Actually, the story is so convoluted and involves continents hovering over each other, explosions, and repeating history.. come to think of it, the story sucks.  Anyways, I have not caught up and finished this show yet though.. Preliminary score 6/10 (5/10 for everything else).  Finished the show (well what appears to be the main story line anyways). The ending was illogically romantic and it made me cry tears of happiness, with this in mind overall score is boosted to 7/10.


Miyako <3
- Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai -
First episode sets an amazingly high bar that the following six do not reach.  This is harem show disguised as a fighting awesome school thing.. It's silly and based off an Eroge and packed to the brim with fan service! wooo! Aside from the first episode..unless you like Miyako as much as I do ^__^, it could be difficult to get into. I have not finished this show yet, expect more later. Preliminary score 7/10 (5/10 without Miyako).

Stalled shows I am simply waiting on my preferred sub groups to finish working on them, I will be adding them at a later date and most likely in their own posts. For sure Working'!! will get an entire post to itself ^__^.

Bonus screenshot of the best iDOLM@STER girl ever, Makoto.

2 comments:

  1. Was there a show this season block you DIDN'T LIKE?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ones I dropped. Like Maken-Ki. If I had not promised to finish Kimi to Boku, I'd have prolly dropped that one too.

    There was a lot of win in this last season.

    ReplyDelete