Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homework is Crushing

Busy Jon is Busy

It was midterms last week. It would be an understatement to say that I was busy. Unfortunately I have not gotten any of the tests back yet... but I am pretty sure I did quite well on the two geography midterms I took. Sometime in the next week I think I might scan a few of the diagrams and maps I have made for projects in my Landscape Analysis course. They are pretty cool looking and I am quite proud of them.

On a random note, taking off my zip-up hoddie creates enough static electricity to force my mp3 player to shut down and then go through the rebuilding library process when started up again. This probably is not very good for the electronics in it.. oh well.

One of the topics that was discussed during Human Geography this morning was the true cost of food. We watched a video clip of Michael Pollan (wiki link) speaking during a board discussion in response to a question asking why organic food is so expensive. His counter question and subsequent answer was one that asks why conventional food costs so little when it is so bad for our health and our environment. The cheapness of conventional food comes with a large cost to our health and environment, for instance the use of chemical fertilizers have collected in river drainages and cause algae blooms to flourish. These algae blooms consume a large portion of the available oxygen in the surrounding water and prevent anything else from living. Once the oxygen is consumed, the algae dies and leaves the water unable to support other life for a period of time. He also addressed our societies lack of priorities regarding food, how on average we spend only 11% of our disposable income on food. When we could decide to spend a little more of our disposable income on healthier foods that are produced with a little more respect and regard for our environment and health.

In all I thought it was a great response to the question of why organic/healthier foods are more expensive. I wish I was able to find the video online, but my youtube searching skills fail me today.

/laters everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment